Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: Terrain temperature: where is it in the ruleset?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Lo'oris" <lo_oris@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Terrain temperature: where is it in the ruleset?
From: "Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Sep 2005 09:18:11 -0400

"Lo'oris" <lo_oris@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was wondering how does the map generator know that glacier is very
> cold and desert is very hot (and so on), since that information is not
> present in the terrain.ruleset file. Or it is? I can't find it.

Currently, that information is determined based on the order of the
terrains in the ruleset.  So, rather than creating a new terrain
ruleset from scratch, you want to copy the default one and then make
your changes.  For instance, if you want a particular terrain
("plateau", say) to be "high", replace the standard Mountains terrain
with it; if you want a terrain to be "wet", replace the standard Swamp
terrain with it, and so on.

This is not ideal, of course.  It artificially limits what kinds of
terrain rulesets can be created.  Hopefully this will be improved in
the future.  Currently, however, that's how it stands.