Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: various comments

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: various comments
From: Patrick Borer <pa.borer2@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:16:10 +0200

Ivan Petrovic wrote:

(...)
> - That reminds me, serbian nation file is a disaster. I'm not saying that
> my version is ideal, but I can prove how bad yours is. Take a map and try
> to find cities called Svetozarevo (#21) or Titovo Uzice (#42 in ruleset
> file)... You can't find them? That's because when communism went down,
> these cities got their original (pre-communist) names back. And that was
> back when I was a baby.

Well, in lots of nation files, historic names of cities that aren't in
use nowadays are used (e.g. in the Roman file). But since the Serbian
file is called "Serbian", not "Yugoslavian", I agree with you that the
city names should not be Yugoslavian. "Svetozarevo" and "Titovo Uzice"
could probably be used for a Yugoslavian nation, if someone would like
to add this to Freeciv...

> There are much more things I would change in
> choice of cities, their order and especially ruler list (some of those
> guys never ruled these lands or led any armies). Let me know if you want
> me to send you my ruleset file.

I think the ruler list is not meant to contain only actual rulers; there
are also other important people and purely fun entries... after all,
Freeciv isn't meant to be a deadly-serious game, I hope :-)
Also, for some nations, a list of actual rulers would be hard to make,
e.g. Switzerland was very rarely ruled by a single person. Wilhelm Tell,
one of the entries, never ruled the Swiss, but as the mythical national
hero, he makes perfect sense IMHO.

Best regards,
Patrick Borer