Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: map fairness test

To: Lakatos Zoltán <lzcime@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: map fairness test
From: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:37:33 -0800

Hi Zoli!

Well if we would could use the AI to test this i think this whole
problem wouldn't exist :) Unfortunatelly now the AI isn't good enough in
settling for using any "serious" test on the map. And what we need as a
first step is a fast (few secs) method which says from a running/old
game of pubserver if the map is fair or not. With your method we sould
download the savegame, create a local server, manually edit the starting
position and run full game multiple times. Too much time and too useless
answer for the question "is this map fair?".

"Better map" now means more fair. I don't say we always have to use
this, but in duel and team and tourny matches we really need fair maps.
Eg i had a game when we had to restart continously for 1.5 hours to get
a map which the referees found fair. That is really bhoring :) But still
better than play a duel for 2 hours then notice at the end that it was
decided around -4000 and u had almost no chance at all.=20

If we have a way to test maps, that can be extended in the future to
test/create "better" maps for other factors (more real, more
interesting, etc).

bye, hirisov

2003-12-26, p keltez=E9ssel 00:57-kor Lakatos Zolt=E1n ezt =EDrta: