Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: new ranking calculation

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: new ranking calculation
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:05:46 -0500

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:14:17AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> My first thought is that allies of a winning player should not be
> penalized by loss of ranking, but neither should it be possible to rise in
> rank by joining games and just opportunistically allying whoever looks
> like is going to win.

why not? Just by becoming an ally of a winner doesn't necessarily mean that
you kicked any ass. Take a look at France in WWII for example. While I
agree that 'winning' should merit points it should not be the sole or even
primary factor in deciding on those points, especially if the game is ended
by a method like endyear.

A counting of civ population might be a better indicator. Something like
MAX(population during game) - pop at end of game. lower is better.

Above all, with endyear a problem, ranking should definitely be changed
so that a score cannot be easily [arbitrarily] raised in a single turn.

> Eventually, we should consider setting up a separate ranking ladder for
> duel games (premade maps, maxplayer 2, diplomacy off), and also one for
> team games (registered teams).

I'm concerned about this solution. Certainly we can have different
leagues...

-mike