Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Fantasy nations

To: Daniel <DHerding@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Fantasy nations
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:32:26 -0600

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:47:54PM +0100, Daniel wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Thursday, February 27, 2003, 5:26:41 AM, you wrote:
>
> MK> there has been no 64-nation limit for a couple of months. I believe the
> MK> limit now is 65000 nations :) Continuing innovations in nation dialogs are
> MK> fixing the screen space problem. As for adding nations, this is now
> MK> possible.
>
> What about replacing the radiobuttons with a combobox?
> A combobox can store unlimited nations using minimal screen space.
> Would also be very easy to implement.

The GTK2 client has already been reimplemented with tree_view (the new
clist). GTK1.2 may not be far behind. I don't know how easy it is to put a
flag in a combo drop-down box. Probably nasty.

> I just found out that the one I was planning to use
> ( http://www.flags.net/elements/gif_flags/ETHP001.GIF )
> is in use since 1996, and before, there have been many variants of the
> tricolour ( http://www.flags.net/elements/gif_flags/ETHP002.GIF ) with
> different emblems (see http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/et.html ),
> so it's not only easier but also better to use the tricolour.
> What size should the picture have? 24x18?

not sure, I suggest opening up flags.png and using the lituanian flag as a
starter. The colors are almost exactly the same, though switched. Use a
bucket-fill to touch-up.

-mike