Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: copyrights

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyrights
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:10:33 -0300 (ADT)

These kind of considerations are what kept me from being able to publish a
roleplaying game in hardcopy. I think that with the web, it will be a lot
easer to get together all the various 'rights' of the many different rules
that were combined into one campaign, *because* on the web the credit can
be given in a way that can provide actual gains. The text of the rules can
be full of actual links to the various sources. Every time one says "like
in Civ, blah blah blah" one can provide a link to the commercial Civ.
Every time one says "like in Steve Jackson's Illuminati game" one can link
to his game (might have to help him get in onto the web) and so on.

One might even be able tie-in purchase of the commercial games, like "for
intellectual property reasons, anyone advancing to the rank of Lord and
building a Castle must become a registered owner of _________ game, upon
which are loosely based our fief-maintenance routines" and finance such
things by also saying "of course by the time the playtester has
accumulated sufficient experience to advance to Lord, the banners on their
character pages will have earned enough money from page sponsors to cover
such a purchase" ....

BB
MM