Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: forced open source

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: forced open source
From: Todd Goodman <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:54:04 -0400

* Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [000719 18:35]:
> >  Truth
> > is that I didn't get source or the ability to run it on Solaris so
> > that's plenty of motivation for me to support this open source
> project.
>
> So the world owes you open source?  This is a justification for ripping
> off someone else's intellectual property?

No, I don't think anyone "owes" anyone else open source (but it's very
nice when people contribute open source though).

It's certainly a reason to want to work on an open source project
though.

I don't believe it is "ripping off someone else's intellectual property"
and the fact that you do doesn't really matter.

As you say, the only way that would be resolved is in court.

> My opinion: if I as the developer *choose* to give you open source, you
> can have it.  If I don't choose to do so, then go buy something else
> from a competitor if it upsets you so much.  Or make your own game with
> your own rules.

Or go make up a superior game engine that happens to provide enough
flexibility that you could play by any rules you want.

This is what Freeciv is (and is working towards).

Perhaps you should actually investigate it a bit further before making
all these sweeping generalizations.

> Yes, this is basic Capitalism and private property vs. Marxism and the
> abolishment of private property.  I've read the Communist Manifesto.
> Very insightful as to the historical problems of capital.  Brain-dead as
> to the solutions.  As far as I'm concerned, people are entitled to own
> and control the means of production.  Intervention and regulation of
> ownership is only justified when someone is being harmed.

I have no problem with that either.  Freeciv is not infringing upon any
of those rights.

> Then, fully recognize the trend: stop calling it Freeciv, and stop
> touting it as a clone of Civ.

Have you even run the program?  Looked at the rulesets?

Or you just looked at the web page and your "anti-capitalism commie
alert light" just went off so you felt you had to step in as Captain
America (damn, I better mention that Captain America is a trademark of
its respective owners).