Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Controlling date progression?

To: Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developement <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Controlling date progression?
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 02:22:36 +0200

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 06:35:41PM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 08:20:58AM -0400, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> > > P.S.    What about starting the game at an earlier time than 4000BC?
> > > There's evidence that agriculture and animal domestication started
> > > earlier than this.  US News has an article about it in the current
> > > issue.
> >
> > 7000 BC ?
> > 10000 BC ?
> > Anyway idea is good.
>
>       7000BC may be good.  The article I read just a few days ago spoke
> about evidence of animal domestication (pigs of all things) roughly
> 9000 years old.

What I have here (earliest (more-or-less) proven) :

9000 BC - animals breeding, agriculture (Iraq)
7000 BC - city, city walls, watchtower (Jericho), irigation (Catal Huyuk)

[John Keegan, "A History of Warfare"]

> > I made perl readline frontend to civserver.
> > It is available in freeciv-dev archives, if you want, I will
> > send it to you.
>

>       I don't know any Perl, I'm afraid.  I know a little of the scripting
> language Python, and C, but thats it.

Ehm, it's much simpler.

You run script civserver_readline, and this script runs civserver in background,
and buffers you<->server communication via readline.