Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Another wonder

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Another wonder
From: Wim Livens <livensw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:49:15 +0100

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 02:30:01AM +0100, Tobias Brox wrote:

> >   New science: Networking
> >   Permits:
> >   - New thing you can build in a city: Freenet/BBS
> >     - Increases effectiveness of each "Elvis" by 3x
> >     - Reduces productivity by 10%
>
> Let's call it a City Network. BBS'es will appear regardless of if it's
> built by the city administration or not.  The BBS'es never got that hard
> impact at the society, it was mostly only us - the nerds - that where
> occupied by them, so we can safely ignore them.  A City Network built from
> scratch requires a lot of resources, and connects _everybody_ to the net.
> Upgrading POP (Plain Old Phonelines - another needed improvement) to City

That's it! We forget a much more important (but not so hype) invention:
The Telephone.  I don't know what it should do, because the game already
assumes you can control and see everything (units, cities) immediatly
from your chair, while in practice communication is vital in military.
The telephone only works if you have some communication lines, which
will be reused later by The Internet.

>  I disagree :) Internet is _nothing_ but a lot of connected networks.
> So, let the settlers build intercity communication lines, first cupper
> cables and when the fiberoptic tech is researched, they can be
> upgraded to fiberoptic lines.

Maybe to simplify things, we have to assume that if you have build a
road, you get communication lines for free along that road.  But you
still need to interconnect continents somehow (submarine cables,
sattelite, ...)

--
Wim Livens.

Alcatel - Corporate Research Center     wim.livens@xxxxxxxxxx
Fr. Wellesplein 1                       livensw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
B-2018 Antwerpen                Tel:    +32 3 240 7570
Belgium.                        Fax:    +32 3 240 9932