[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Descriptions for technologies

To: Mark Cote <mrcote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Descriptions for technologies
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:37:46 +0100

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:51:59PM -0400, Mark Cote wrote:
> > The code looks like it's all there to handle techs' helptexts.
>
> > I think it would be great to have descriptions of tech advancements, as
> > long as they are not copied from some copyrighted source.  We must be able
> > to distribute them under the GPL.
>
> I take it that the descriptions in Civ II are copyrighted?  Just wondering how
> that works, exactly, since it's legal to clone it, yet seems to be illegal to
> use exact text in some cases.

Well, we had an argument about this.  In general, the following are
copyrighted:

1) the source code to the game (and the binary)
2) The graphics of the game
3) Any text/wording/other work associated with the game

We cleary don't copy (1) or (2) and we shouldn't start copying (3).
What certainly isn't copyrightable is the 'idea' of the game. There
was some (inconclusive) debate about whether the rules or the techtree
are copyrightable.

> Anyway, it's pretty much a moot point, since I don't have the game.  I'll
> probably just put together some info from a couple encyclopedias.

That's definitely the best plan.

(But don't copy anything verbatim from the encyclopedias, either ;-)

Jules