Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#19040) Rulesets with identical strings for multipl

To: sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#19040) Rulesets with identical strings for multiple meanings
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <markstedt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:50:49 -0700

This transaction appears to have no content
Hi Sini,

On 7/31/06, sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx <sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some rulesets have identical strings for two incompatible tasks, like
> Hacker is both the 'adjective' and the male ruler name. These must be
> separated with a context indicator, since they are not translated the
> same way.

Fixed in attached patch.

The rulesets affected that I could spot on a quick glance:
> * hacker
> * european

What exactly is the problem with European? The 'European' nation group is
distinguished with ?nationgroup:

* Some rulesets (e.g. european, aymara) seem to define the ruler's name
> to be the same for male and female. But without a context separator, it
> is also impossible to translate them separately in languages where
> there's always some difference between men and women. Not that Finnish
> is one.

The problem with the title "President of the Commission" is that if I add
?female: to it, the string gets too long and the server refuses to load the
ruleset. Same thing with one title in the Swiss ruleset.

The problem in the Aymara ruleset is that we have no idea what these titles
mean anyway. Distinguishing between male and female gender in this case just
IMO adds unnecessary clutter to the pos.

Also, several rulesets have overlapping ruler titles, which can cause
> problems when e.g. "Chieftain" might not quite be translateable as
> 'tribal chieftain' for all nations, but just translating it as a neutral
> 'leader' for all would be boring. But this is a lesser problem.

Hm, I think you will have to suggest better titles for our English originals
then.

* confederate, european and soviet define a "Transitional" string, which
> needs a translator comment on what it means.
>
> --Sini

Added in attached patch.

Thank you the bug report/rant! Always a pleasure :-)

--Daniel
Hi Sini,