Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Project goals

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Project goals
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <markstedt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:32:17 +0900

As discussed elsewhere; Freeciv lacks written project goals.

The closest thing I could find in the wiki is here:
http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/FAQ#How_compatible_is_Freeciv_with_the_commercial_Civilization_games.3F

Excerpt:
"It is still a stated goal to let Freeciv's game engine be 100%
compatible with Civilization™ I and II, but only as an option."

Freeciv should IMO try to break free from the "Civ2 clone" image, and
the first step is to drop the dependence on Civilization 2's design:
Bumping the version number to 3.0 would be a way of emphasizing this,
while at the same time not as drastic as for example changing the name
of the project.

Here are a few potential 3.0 project goals I've been contemplating:

1. Create the best strategy game inspired by the history of man.
2. Rules that are simple for beginners to get into, yet deep enough to
be enjoyed by pros - and also straight-forward to write an AI for
(making a modularized AI possible; see below)
3. Minimize micro-management
4. Outstanding support for content creators (tutorials, gui support
for loading modpacks etc)
5. Modularized AI (requested countless times)
6. etc...

If we proceed with this, we should IMHO either keep the 2.2 release in
the pipeline (which basically means making a S2_2 branch now) or
backport the editor to S2_1.

-Daniel