Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] empty treasury and negative income

To: Daniel Markstedt f <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] empty treasury and negative income
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:59:59 -0500

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

On 2006-02-16, at 13.53, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

What is effect of having an empty treasury and negative income at the same time?

Buildings get sold. This increases both income and treasury. With unit upkeeps I assume the unit would simply be disbanded if it can't be paid for.

There is a minor bug (part of PR#724 IIRC) in that upkeep is done city-by-city instead of player-by-player. So it's possible that you have a city with -5 income that gets calculated first and has to sell a building, even though your other city with a +50 income could easily pay for it. Thus the order of city iteration matters.

-jason

What happen when you run out of buildings and still have negative income (theoretically)?

That is not possible in the current system, and so not covered.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm calculating the impact of having players pay upkeep for cities, as a way to limit expansion in the early game, and ultimately to benefit largepoxing. I don't want to see cities disbanding when the economy hit rock bottom though. Instead negative income you can't pay for by other means, should turn into negative science output instead, effectively halting research when you run out of cash.

What you want is to have a building - like a town hall - that is required for building settlers. The town hall can have upkeep. I believe you can even configure things so that each new city automatically gets a town hall.

In practice, I'm imagining city upkeep as a variable of your government; for example Despotism-4, Monarchy-2, the rest 1 or 0 (needs to be balanced of course.) To speed up the early game, the Palace could give an extra income of 6 or so under Despotism/Monarchy.

Hmm.

-jason