Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15055) RFC: Cairo to replace the canvas functions

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15055) RFC: Cairo to replace the canvas functions
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasco.costa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:11:23 -0800

On 1/3/06, Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cairo and xrender (unlike gdk-pixbuf) were both designed with hardware
> acceleration in mind.  But the backend code for each is not well
> implemented, largely because they both run mostly on linux systems which
> generally don't have good hardware acceleration (because of driver
> problems).

Hello Jason,

I just seem to remember, vaguely, one of the (at the time) XFree86
driver developers complaining about the base design of RENDER at the
time. I may very well be in
error and extrapolating on an error to boot. I certainly hope I am in error!

If hw accel not in yet, I would not count on it. But still, it seems
to be too good,
enough even without the hardware acceleration, to pass. Carry on. :-)

--
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa