Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14082) RFC: prohibit troops from unloading onto no

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14082) RFC: prohibit troops from unloading onto non-flat terrains
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:35:29 -0700

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:08:25PM -0700, (Eddie Anderson) wrote:

>     What if land units (perhaps even marines) were prohibited from
> unloading (from sea transports) onto mountain and hill tiles?
> Cities built on mountains or hills would be exempted (or should
> they not be exempted?).

I think this has some realism, but I would restrict it to mountains. Even
marines should not be able to attack mountains from the waterside. For
consistency, cities should not be exempted.

If you impose this for hills, too, this affects game play very much. Half of
the coast may be hills or mountains. AI builds cities often on hills at the
coast, so you will encounter hard times to beat them. Cities on mountains
are rare and usually not very prosperous.

>     The purpose of this is to help make islands easier to defend.
> Of course, other rule changes could help that too (e.g. shore
> bombardment rules); but this might be simpler to implement.

Well for this purpose I don't think its the right cure. I even doubt that it
is necessary. Given a city with city walls, coastal defense, barracks, three
good defending units and a diplo?

Hhm, does a coastal defense *or* city walls give a defense bonus against
marines attacking from the sea?

Christian