Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Add an Activity_type_id typedef.

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Add an Activity_type_id typedef. Add an
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:31:52 -0400

Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>---- Log message:
>>    Tag: HEAD
>>
>>Add an Activity_type_id typedef.
>
> The canonical spelling is Activity_Type_id. This has been done wrong in
> several new *_Type_id typedefs. Either change the canonical spelling (ie
> run sed on the codebase) or fix your erronous patches!
>
>   - Per
> (tired of mistyping those *_Type_id all the time)

Hey, this patch wasn't mine!  The non-canonical capitalization now
outnumbers the canonical.

I'm happy to run a search-and-replace to make them all identical.  But
which should I use?  IMO it is simpler to use a
capitalize-the-first-character-only system (which is why I got confused
and made a wrongly capitalized typedef in the first place) and they
should all be Xxx_type_id.

Although no other element of freeciv code uses capitalization, typedefs
are "special" and unreadible enough that I think it is justified here.
But I don't see why it would be Team_Type_id and not Team_Type_Id.  We
have Continent_id, not Continent_Id.  Etc.  Not that I care much, I just
want consistency.  CodingStyle itself doesn't say anything about it.

-jason