Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12668) Changes in how to win the game...

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12668) Changes in how to win the game...
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:19:46 -0800

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 02:27:07PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> ...so read carefully.
>
> CHANGES:
>  1) Allied victory removed.

Team victory is still in?

>  2) /endgame only ends the game, it no longer allows you to specify
>     winners.
>  3) endyear gives victory to whoever has the higher score.
>
> The reason for 1) is that this concept was a bad one. It encourages
> ganging up the best player. Instead, there should only be one winner, and
> he should be punished for the number of alliances and tech exchanges he
> has been involved in.

As player i dislike gangbanging, and perhaps there should be something
against it. But it is possible to gangbang and kill the "best" player
without allying. And i think it isn't fair that only 1 player out of the
winning alliance gets the points when they played together to win.

Why not sharing the victory?

Case 1:

6 Players, 1 good (a) 3 mediocre (b,c,d) and 2 (e,f) newbies.

A gets the islands and cities from e+f and would win.
Alliance of b-c-d is stronger than a and will win.

Year 400 BC
a 150, b 90, c 80, d 70 points

Year  50 BC
a 170, b 120, c 110, d 100 points

Game is decided a will loose against the alliance.

Who should get the victory?

1) a because he had no chance and has most points of all.
2) team b-c-d because they have won the game, game is decided and there
is no reason to play one more turn.

With 1.14.2 or after you patch the following will happen:

player a leaves and b-c-d will try to get the same amount of points (and
more than a.

Year  500 AD
b 164, c 164, d 164, a 140

Who should get the victory now?

> The /endgame command can now be used to select winners, who gain an allied
> victory. Due to 1) above, this is no longer possible. Also, being able to
> simply vote a winner by majority seems... a bit much. Hence 2).

Voting the winner by majority of points and best 3 players is fair.

I think it is a big step back ...

Thomas