Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:22:31 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>This isn't good because HACK actually is a security measure. It
>>prevents a foreign client from connecting to a locally-spawned server
>>and taking over it. It prevents players from saving games in arbitrary
>>locations on pubserver.
>
> I wrote:
>
>> - cmdlevel is removed entirely; hack commands are available only to
>>   'game host' and 'cheater' that are trusted (same reqs as now)
>
> "trusted" here means exactly what you mean - only a local user.

Okay, I guess.

>>I think your system is still too complicated.Simply having a game host
>>is enough.This is accomplished with cmdlevel ctrl first.
>
> So how do you deal with cheating? Please do not bring us back to the mess
> we were in before we had voting. For all its faults it did solve a real
> problem.

You have three command levels: HACK, CTRL, and INFO.

HACK is granted to trusted users.  It supercedes the other two.

CTRL is granted to the game host.  There should be a way for those with
INFO access to change the host.  There may even be more than one host.

INFO is granted to all others.  These are the cheaters.  There still
needs to be a way for a player to aitoggle himself using an INFO command.

-jason