Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10047) RFC: restructuring map code to not use cart

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10047) RFC: restructuring map code to not use cartesian coordinates
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:14:09 -0700

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> I suspect the server is significantly faster under this patch. However
> this is hard to verify because autogames are different.

You can run and time one turn end of a large savegame.

> Most likely this is because of reordered myrand() calls somewhere

These myrand calls should be eliminated. In fact, I would like most myrand
calls to be eliminated, as far as at all possible. This is important for a
replay feature, to avoid frequent compatibility breaks.

> Having written this, I'm not not sure what to do with it.

It is a 1mb size patch! It is a good idea, though. Read over all of it
carefully then commit it, IMO. Splitting it up is a bad idea. But it would
be a good thing to find those changes that change autogames, because that
sounds icky.

  - Per