Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9818) Inland lakes and borders
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:16:45 -0700

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> Now that we have ocean numbers it seems natural that the next step we
> should code are inland lakes in borders code.
>
> It isn't as easy as it looks.
> We have to know which continent surrounds the lake. This information is
> needed, because we don't want to claim inland lakes on a different
> continent than the city is placed.
>
> I decided that a lake is an ocean with no more than 10 tiles.
>
> One problem with this patch is that an inland lake with an island on it
> won't be claimed, because it's "surrounded" by two oceans.
>
> I also attach one map with which you can compare old and new method.

I again suggest my previous idea for continents.

- Continents are assigned by mapgen.  Continents do not respect land/sea
boundaries.  Continent numbers never change.  Continents may even be
named (clicking on the tile shows the continent).

- AI code that wants to look at land/sea boundaries will have its own
internal data.

In this case the inland lake gets assigned to the same continent as the
land surrounding it.  Of course the algorithm may be the same but to
logic is moved to mapgen.

I only mention it again because nobody had any comments last time I did so.

jason