Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8396) player_restore_units shouldn't return planes

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8396) player_restore_units shouldn't return planes
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:51:32 -0800

The player_restore_units function will automatically tell planes about
to run out of fuel to goto the nearest refuel point.

This is bad for a few reasons.  It uses server goto so it probably
cheats.  It's out of the client player's control.  And it puts more work
in the server than is necessary.

What should happen is that when the player is done moving an air unit
(by pressing the space bar at the client) the client should use PF to
find a route back to a refuel point, and instigate a goto (orders)
route.  The server should then do nothing for these units.

The code in player_restore_units says

       /* I think this is strongly against the spirit of client goto.
        * The problem is (again) that here we know too much. -- Zamar */

so obviously we're not the first to think of this.

jason