[Freeciv-Dev] 4X TBS as driver for RPG

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] 4X TBS as driver for RPG
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:28:28 -0800

From: Mark Metson [mailto:markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

> OK, here are some more of the kinds of things I hope can
> eventually be
> achieved by use of free open-source code. Again this comes from a RPG
> background. In various RPG experiences I have found that a larger
> socioeconomic system in which the players do their
> adventuring is severely
> lacking. Admittedly most of my players never got into being lords and
> rulers and running nations. But I still wanted to have loardships and
> fiefs and nations on the map. So eventually I would like to
> be able to use
> various larger scale strategic games to do the framework, and insert
> individual characters into that framework.

Do you want the game to drive events, or do you as Gamemaster want to
drive events?  That's a major difference of philosophy.

If you plan to Gamemaster everything, then you need a "God mode" that
allows you to be any / all of the players in succession.

If you want the game to drive events, then I think you, the Gamemaster,
would need to write a whole lot of "game script / trigger" stuff.  Much
like people do for FPS stuff, to advance plot points within a level.  I
don't think you can just have the game playing itself like a regular
game.  I don't think RPG players would find it interesting to be inside
of a 4X TBS game.

You'd also want HTML hooks into the game map.  A mode where you click a
hex, and Python fires you off at a webpage.  That in and of itself
sounds easy.  Once the game is Pythonized, just about anything in the
game could have a HTML trigger added to it, somehow.

> In FreeCiv the kind of thing I'd want to do would be to compute a
> character's chance of surviving, or, better, generate a detailed
> character-level scenario for the player of the character to
> play, based on
> which unit the character was part of (or encountered) and
> what happened to that unit.

That sounds like a special kind of unit, with a special unit script.
Not a big deal.  Of course, you realize you are doing this
implementation work, right?  :-)  But I'm saying, it would be easy to do
in Python.

> Eventually it would be nice to also allow the individual
> characters to somehow effect the larger scale, such as maybe
> count a party
> of players as being effectively a "diplomat" or "spy" unit so that if
> their character-level play succeeds then that diplomat or spy
> action on
> the Civ scale would succeed whereas if their individual
> character play
> field that failure could be plugged into the Civ game as a
> failure on the
> part of the corresponding diplomat or spy unit.

But diplomats and spies aren't important in Freeciv.  They accomplish
trivial tasks, nothing so dramatic as a RPG would portray.  Here, you're
talking about adding a lot of rules detail to some section of the game.
If you are asking for a 4X TBS to be driving your RPG, you will be
writing a *lot* of stuff.  One would call it a major game version.  Ok
in my world view, it's supposed to be a game engine, not a game.  But
realize, a lot of work for yourself you're talking about there.

From my standpoint, there would be a need to express major rulesets.  A
distinction between engines and rulesets.  I do not know how long it
would take to provide that level of modularity.  I don't know what kind
of shape the Freeciv code is in.

I think you would have a much easier time if you're willing to just use
your imagination.  Use ProtoCiv (working title) as a manual RPG game
tracker, ala God mode and HTML and all of that.  Not a RPG game
simulator.  But this really depends on whether you think RPG or 4X TBS
is more important.

Incidentally, have you played King Of Dragon Pass?  You should.
www.a-sharp.com  In comp.games.development.design we've had vicious
debates about whether it's a RPG or a 4X TBS.  I say it's RPG first and
foremost, because story elements are the basic mechanic.  It can't be
4X, only 3X, there's really no way to eXterminate.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.