[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:09:02 -0800

From: Raimar Falke [mailto:i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 01:35:54PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> > If you had some kind of /contrib directory where stuff gets
> > distributed
> > and can be turned on with some compile or runtime switches, then at
> > least it would be "out there" in the distro and people
> > could choose to run it or not.
>
> You also need a gatekeeper for this directory or it will become a
> kitchen sink like ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming. In the later
> case you can just direct to the ftp dir.

In my own project vision (not necessarily yours), I'm not sure I see
why.  My assumptions:
- for the moment, I'm only talking about Python code submissions
- the submitter has to provide a few informational stubs in their code
- if they don't, their code simply isn't enableable
- sure it's fat in the distro, but that could be cleaned occasionally,
or even by an automated tool that validates enableability.

I definitely wouldn't accept project submissions as a lot of arbitrary,
useless *.tgz files and .exe's like in that FTP directory of yours.
There would be some kind of very simple required submission format,
which would have some kind of very trivial conformance run on it.  Piece
of cake in Python, and I want to discourage people from writing new C
code.  The point would be to migrate from C to Python, atrophizing the C
until only a core of absolutely essential performance components
remains.  Those I think should be handled "more traditionally," not by a
we'll-take-anything process.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.