[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6963) Diplomacy: Add disarmament treatises

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6963) Diplomacy: Add disarmament treatises
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:47:19 -0800

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:30:14 -0800 Andy Smith wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:03:35AM -0800, Guest wrote:
> > A possibility for disarmament treaties of Nucular weapons (or other
> > weapons) between two or more nations should be given.
>
> But.. no one uses nukes do they, because the environmental effects
> are so bad?  So I don't know, are stockpiles of nukes a
> commonly-used threat?

Upping "techlevel" for faster nukes can make Freeciv a completely
different game, and it can be outrageously funny. I think guest's
idea is a good one if accompanied with other diplomacy improvements,
and possibly the implementation of M.A.D. Suppose your 20 nukes are
pre-ordered to launch all at once against predetermined enemy cities
automatically when the enemy uses just one small nuke.. Like civ3 we
could have small "tactical nukes" and add thermonuclear ones. Anything
that can increase interest in diplomacy by upping the stakes can also
increase interest in Freeciv. Currently there is little code support
for games as they are late in the ages.

Arnstein