[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5419) Marketplace should have 0 upkeep.

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5419) Marketplace should have 0 upkeep.
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:55:31 -0700

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:15:01AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Guest wrote:
> > In the standard game Marketplaces cost 80 shields and require 1 upkeep.
> > I think that the upkeep should be free for the following reasons:
> >
> > 1.Paradoxical Behavior.
> > Marketplaces can often cause less gold or the same amount of gold
> > to be produced.
> > 2.Inital Cost Sufficient
>
> I think this is a good idea, however it should be done to Bank and
> Stock Exchange too for consistency.

I think its a good idea to change the rules to have a balanced game
after that. But i don't like to change to much from the default-ruleset
without having a master plan.

Ok lets see. What happens to a "i build many improvements player" when he
doesn't have to pay for marketplaces(+banks and stock exchanges).

The gain from Adam Smiths is reduced.
Can rapture without having taxrate > 0
Has a little bit more money than he would have with standard rules. So
he can research faster, or is more powerful in war.

And i think there is a ingame explanation that a marketplace have to
cost 1 gold/turn.
When there is no trade on a marketplace we need to upkeep the building,
pay some people to clean the buildings/places ...
When there is a little bit trade things change.

Perhaps it would be better to change the rounding rule?
1 gold earning * 1.5 = 1.5 -> 2 minus 1 -> 1 gold
(think with that a marketplace isn't that bad and we didn't change the
rules. Only the implementation.)

> (I also think the build costs of these buildings are too high, but that is
> something we should revisit in the upcoming discussion about smallpox vs
> largepox that we'll have once gen effects are in cvs.)

Think we should move the largepox/smalpox/ics discussion after gen
effects is in. Or discuss what's possible with gen effects.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.