Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3886) City description is hidden for polar cities

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3886) City description is hidden for polar cities
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:20:24 -0700

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:21:00PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> [ChrisK@xxxxxxxx - Fri Mar 28 09:53:43 2003]:
>
> > For cities on the south pole, the city name and production on the map is
> > not readable in most cases, depending on the size of the map subwindow.
>
> Here's a "fix" for the GTK client only.
>
> The code is pretty ugly and doesn't give great results.  This draws the
> city description on top of (not above) the city; I found that less
> confusing than drawing the text above the city.  But by removing the #if
> 0...#endif around the commented piece of the patch this can be reversed.

Well this is something we call 'Schildbürgerstreich' [1] in german. The
white text is hard to see over the icecap of the south pole and the partly
white city icon.

Why not put the description *above* the city icon, for the lowest two lines of
tiles in the map? That'd place the text into the blue ocean. Or will this
conflict with descriptions of less lower cities?

> Another alternative is that when there are polar cities,
> EXTRA_BOTTOM_ROW is increased so that we have the extra real estate down
> there to see their names.

Think this rather ugly.

> jason

Christian

[1] Following the legend, the people of the city of Schilda used to do
curious thing, for instance the caught the sunlight in bags and carried it
into their new-built town hall, where they had forgotten the windows.

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/