Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Astarot" <astarot-mailbox@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 09:31:26 +0400

Hello!

I have a mad idea about the subject of the letter. Not everybody can play
over the internet - here, in Russia, internet is quite expensive, and people
are not very rich. Still, FreeCiv is very popular here, because many people
have old computers, where Civ-3 (which has miltiplayer option) can't run.
So, there is a FreeCiv almost in every local network.

Online mode is too expensive, modem connection is, as I suppose, hard to
support... What about PBEM mode? That seems to be quite easy, only one
option is to be added - a password on each nation in savegames.

In fact, sometimes we tried PBEM mode already - it works ;) I mean, we used
to send savegames to each other. The problem is that we used to look, what
is our opponent doing every turn - we loaded the nation of the opponent,
examined it and only then loaded our own nations. The solution of the
problem is to ask the player to enter the password of the nation before

How d'you like the idea?

Anyway, thank you for developing this great game!

---
Astarot.