Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] External Map Generator

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] External Map Generator
From: iquin@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:32:20 +0800

Hello List,

Sorry for not following closely on the mailing list.
I read about Ross' recent mail about the patch in the archive,
but I am unable to find the original mail. Is the patch committed?
Is there any example of civmap.sh? I hope the executable is very
stand alone and only uses a few include files to compile.
I also notice there have been multiple attempts to introduce
"reveal map" command for debugging purposes over the years.
All the while, I have always get the map revealed by disbanding all
my units before building cities and hit turn done. Not sure if it
still works, or if there is any problem with doing this which is
unknown to me. If it works for everyone, this method could be written
somewhere in mapgen.c or FAQ.
I also read about some "snake" creating small islands (not sure if
I get it right). My experiece is that it may seem to be a good idea
to create small islands which makes the map more realistic, it
greatly disturbs the game balance by making sea techs far more
important. The early mapgen 2 was designed to generate large islands
only, you can try checking out old versions of mapgen and try
playing with the maps generated (if it still compiles).

Regards,
I.Q.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup