Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds: midi national hymnes for diplomacy?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds: midi national hymnes for diplomacy?
From: Gerrit Holl <gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:33:35 +0200

Miguel Farah wrote:
 Mike Kaufman [20/09/2002 17:53] dijo/said:

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:28:22PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

The songs themselves may be public domain, but any composition of them in
MIDI form will surely be copyrighted unless explicitly stated that this is
not the case. Can you find public domain MIDI versions of all those
nations?

A quick search on google returns:
http://www.thenationalanthems.com (includes non-sovereign nations)
http://www.imagesoft.net/flags/anthems.html
http://www.ifrance.com/hymnes/

I have not thoroughly checked these sites for copyright issues, but getting free midi's seems not very difficult. IANAL, but I think when nothing is stated an email to the webmaster is enough to ask for permission (I think this won't be a problem).

A problem of this is that many nations are not present nations, and it
has a political problem in some cases, but I think the idea is not bad
No the idea's not bad at all, but the logistics of the 'political' problem
is nasty. This is the same reason why I'm not inclined to tackle the idea
of creating, say, Pakistan in particular after India has a civil war.

The policital problem is not very big, there are few examples of factions fighting each other about hymnes (even Russia has reintroduced the Soviet wise in their hymne).

I like the idea, BUT... it's bound to present problems at runtime: what
do we do when the game is supposed to play an hymn but there isn't one
available? A "generic flag" can be done, but a "generic hymn" doesn't
make sense.

Just don't play any music I'd say.

regards,
Gerrit Holl.

--
SP - word lid van de actiefste linkse partij -
http://www.sp.nl/