[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-ending sound (PR#1564)

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-ending sound (PR#1564)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:52:02 +0200

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:46:11AM -0700, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > CVS 13 JUNE 2002 GTK+ 1.2
> > >
> > > If you kill civclient during startup, at the wrong time,
> > > and another civclient is using the same sound system (Here: ESD),
> > > the sound loop started by the killed civclient lasts forever,
> > > i.e. until the last ESD user quits.
> > >
> > > Buggy ESD? Someone tests with SDL? I don't have it.
> >
> > I have also found this here with ESD. We need to use atexit to cleanup
> > the sound. Patch should be trivial.
>
> SDL already has atexit code to ensure correct cleanup on quit. I thought
> (obviously erronously) that esound, being a daemon, would not have this
> problem.

If the application requests that a certain sound is played in a loop
and than the application dies the daemon isn't informed. It could do
periodic checks to see if the application is still alive. It looks
like the daemon doesn't do that.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The Software is not designed or licensed for use in on-line control