[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civserver upgrade building (PR#1585)

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Joona Kiiski <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civserver upgrade building (PR#1585)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>

> > > If you develope musketeers before pikemen, your cities will continue to
> build phalanxes.  This can be very annoying.  This patch should fix it (apply
> to freeciv/server/cityturn.c):
> > >

> > This topic has been discussed before. And there are situations when
> > you might want to build phalanx instead of musketeer (because it is
> > cheaper). I understand that current behaviour is a bit annoying... But you
> > can use "change all"-command.

That's not good enough. The current behaviour is a bug. If you want the ability
to build old units, remove the obsolete_by tag in the rulesets code. It was not
intentional that warriors can still be built after phalanx arrive.

I like this patch, and I vote for CVS inclusion.

> If you're supposed to be able to build it, it should show up in the list
> of things you can build.  And if we allow building obsolete units (which
> might be a good idea), then we should *allow* it.
>
> At present, you can build obsolete units only if they are indirectly
> obsolete AND either you were building them before they became obsolete or
> you captured a city building them.  This is particularly ugly and has
> *never* gotten me an obsolete unit when I wanted one.

Yes. I fully agree.

> --Daniel Speyer
> If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
> kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
> phrase "software piracy."

<snip>

Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant. It is what I
have done with where I have been that should be of interest. -Georgia O'Keeffe