[Freeciv-Dev] Re: graphics...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: graphics...
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:03:03 +0100

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:16:56PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 04:26:26PM -0300, leo wrote:
> > hi there! first, i'd like to thanks you for this GREAT game!!! and...
> > it's free!!
> >
> > second... thats may be a silly question, but... have you ever
> > considered to develop an ASCII graphics type? well, angband is another
> > great game, and it may run on console...
>
> Nobody ever worked on this as far as I know, it's been proposed before
> but not seriously.
>
> It would be difficult to squash all the different states of a tile
> into a single ASCII symbol, I think.  Can you make a design?

Could be done with colour, I think.  (angband uses colour for its full
expressiveness).  Something like this:

Letters represent unit types (w: warrior, c: catapult, s: settler).

Colours represent the side the unit is on.  The 'action' of a unit
(fortify, irrigate, etc) could be represented by the background colour
of the square.

Terrain types are indicated by symbols('.' for sea, ':' for grassland,
'/' for mountains), using colour just to make things a little more
recognisable (blue for sea, green for grassland, grey for mountains
etc)

Cities would be numbers.  With some convention like 1-9 means 1-9, but
yellow 0-9 means 10-19, and red 0-9 means 20-29.

Some other information would have to be represented textually in a
side panel (like angband has a side panel)

It's an interesting project, actually.. would be a lot of work,
though.

Jules