[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: Brandon Craig Rhodes <brandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:10:46 -0700

scripsit Brandon Craig Rhodes:
> Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > ... how it might be used for Freeciv, if we can get stacking.
>
> Okay, I finally have to ask: *why* do units in cities and forts have
> to be taken out one at a time, while units sharing the same square
> otherwise all mysteriously and tragically disappear when the first one
> is taken down?

Because that's how it was done in Civ 1, when a 386SX couldn't handle
moving more than one unit at a time.  If you couldn't attack with more
than one unit, you couldn't have more than one unit defend or attacking
would be impossible.  Having all but one unit untouched by the combat in
cities and forts was a kluge to make up for the fact that only one
unit's strength was included in the combat.

Now, there's no good reason whatsoever to do it that way except
tradition.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul