[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ngettext undefined during make (PR#1238)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ngettext undefined during make (PR#1238)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:22:41 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > This means autoconf should test for the right gettext version.
> > The "missing msgfmt problem" reported earlier is another manifestation.
> Yes.

Have you checked if my previous gettext patch fixes this as well? I guess
it would. All I did in producing it was "cat /usr/share/aclocal/gettext.m4
>> acinclude.m4", where my version of gettext is .40

Then you must run "aclocal" before "autoconf".

Of course, unless you have gettext .40, you should rather use my patch
than create your own in this way, since the newest gettext macro _does
check for missing (x)msgfmt programs_. Which is the bigger part of the
problem here.

> Come on. I know that you know that I means the source for the programs.

As I noted earlier, the gettext package is big. Including all of it seems
rather unnecessary. Including parts of it opens the door to all kinds of
ugly things I'd rather not think about (we'd be effectively maintaining
our own fork of gettext).

The right way to do this is to specify a modern gettext as a requirement
for cvs versions of freeciv.

> > For translators, yes.  As far as I can see, this means there should be
> > two separate checks: one for a compilation process that only needs to
> > produce an intled Freeciv, and another for a compilation process that
> > involves the creation of new translations.  The first one should check
> > with the system-distributed gettext and see if it can be used; however,
> > the included gettext should always be good enough.  The second one should
> > check, and require, that the translator-specific part of gettext (which is
> > not included with Freeciv, so it must be installed on the host) can be used
> > for active translation.  This second check is part of 'maintained mode'.
> >
> > Is this correct?

Yes.

> Problem is we don't have a maintained mode.

My "autogen.sh patch" introduces that. It checks for all this and more,
and ensures sanity throughout the codebase. It also includes the gettext
fix mentioned above.

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli