[Freeciv-Dev] Re: covserver testing (was: Re: civserver segfault with n

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: covserver testing (was: Re: civserver segfault with new research system)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:26:03 -0500

At 05:24 PM 02/01/16 -0500, Jason Short wrote:
>This is a more general testing perl script.  It assembles a
>psuedo-random rc file (for an all-ai autogame), then runs a civserver
>with that rc.  Then it repeats so long as the civserver didn't exit
>abnormally.
>
>I've been using it for a while now...but I imagine Ross has something
>more advanced; he's been doing this for longer.

Sometimes simple is just as good. My fingers remember this if I lose it
from my shell history.

while(echo "====="; date; time server/civserver -r civIIP.serv) \
do echo Done; done

You can update the rcfile at any time and it will be picked up on the
next iteration. If you decide you need to sleep, you can do this with a

while( true ) do sleep 7200; ./fixrc.sh; done &

or just add fixrc.sh to the do ... done above, or the equivalent manual
edits if there is something specific you want to check out.

Of course, fixrc.sh can either copy a set of canned files in, or do some
sort of pseudo-random generation. bash has a $RANDOM pseudo variable that
can help here.

Typically I beat on a given maptype or generator for awhile until I am
comfortable with it, but keep rolling the set to make sure every type is
being tested. Aifill isn't that important to vary, so I leave it at 7.

There are some things that work better in given cases.

Flat-earth is best for picking up normal and unreal errors, for instance.

I run on a dual CPU machine, so I never worry about the niceness. This
pretty much keeps one CPU busy, but isn't affected too much by my edits,
compiles, diffs, patches or other noise level stuff.

And it makes a good replacement for a screensaver at wasting excess
CPU cycles :-).

>jason
>Attachment Converted: "c:\program files\eudora\attach\test.pl"

Cheers,
RossW
=====