[Freeciv-Dev] server console cleanup patch v1

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] server console cleanup patch v1
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 02:15:29 +0100 (MET)

This patch
  - is incomplete and probably buggy as hell :)
  - removes human-readable text output from rfcstyle server console
  - removes the functions con_dump and con_rfconly, both unused
  - removes the function con_puts in favour of using only con_write
  - removes the reason for con_puts by adding a con_newline() func
  - rewrites cmd_reply and moves some of its functionality to a new
    func called con_output

Note that I did _not_ include a C_CONTINUED console message type as I
earlier promised. Instead, I think this can be solved by requiring that
the program remote controlling the server waits for one command to
complete - by waiting for a C_READY prompt - before issuing further
commands. Yes, this is slow. No, I'm not convinced this is too slow.
Remote controller <-> server communication is not supposed to be verbose.

There are a number of issues because the cmd_reply using code was never
meant to be output this way. I've started to fix a few of those issues,
but several remain. So for now the rfcstyle will print a lot of empty 000
lines and often lots of important vars in the same quoted string.

Please give me comments on the design and solutions.

Reinier, I especially want your comments, since I rewrote (or mutilated)
large parts of your code.

Yours,
Per

"Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
 -- John Kenneth Galbraith