[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog - worklist

To: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog - worklist
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:00:42 +0200

On 2001-08-31 10:47:05, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Sjölie wrote:
>

> > Ok, I'm going to sleep now... :)
> > Seems the worklist is a mess now but I figured I'd post my progress
> > anyway...
> >
> > Screenshot:
> > http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/worklist.jpg
> > (it says "Enable tooltips" beneath the tooltips :)
> >
> > Patch:
> > http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/new_city_dialog+worklist.diff.gz
> > (worklists seems to be out of order here)
> >
> > What do You think about the approach?
>
> I hate it. (sorry) I personally think that a hands off mouse approach is a
> good way to go, BUT, a _whole_lot_of_people_ disagree. They like using the
> mouse to do stuff. (mainly because they have to use Windows) This is a
> very mouse intensive game. In a lot of instances, it's lot faster to open
> the dialog and use one or two clicks to make a change and close the dialog
> again using the mouse than opening the dialog, taking hand off mouse,
> finding the correct buttons and making the change, and then putting hand
> back on mouse to do the next thing you need to do.
>
> If you want to design keyboard shortcuts so you are mouse free, then go
> for it, but please don't compromise a mouse-user's ability to navigate a
> core feature.

Actually, I agree with You...
I only did that because I couldn't get moving items with the mouse to
work - that's really what I want... I'll put Christians suggested
Up/Down buttons in the next version for now...

But if everything could be done with the mouse and there were easily
enabled tooltips describing how - then would You approve? That's what I
really wanted to know...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)