Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: scorelog/savegame inconsistencies

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: scorelog/savegame inconsistencies
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:26:09 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 03:18:10PM -0400, Justin Moore wrote:

> > > And what about the times where you want to transfer the
> > > savegame file around?
> >
> > Is it really that difficult to transfer *two* files?
>
>    It's not that difficult, but it's just irritating.  For programmers or
> hackers or CS people in general, it's not that big a deal.  But for Joe
> User at home trying to run FreeCiv,

... who has no use for civscore.log anyway!

I knew of two tools that use civscore.log: Trent's "civscore", which is
an XForms application, and the scripts at civserver.freeciv.org, which
I try to hide from the public eye.

>    I hacked together a script using perl, gnuplot, and convert to make
> some neat graphs comparing performance along the way.  You can even give
> it a "smoothing factor" to gauge overall trends, what with the AI moving
> tax/lux/sci rates around a lot.  I know at least nine people at my
> workplace that think this decomposition is a pretty cool thing, and having
> the stats there is just kind of neat.  Checking out these graphs is one of
> the first things we do at the end of a game.
>
> You can browse some sample graphs at
> http://137.54.4.64/~justin/public/CIV/

Our code seems very similar, see

  http://civserver.freeciv.org/viewgame.phtml?game=17196

Can we merge our scripts?

>    I guess my point is that the patch is available, you have users that
> think it's a cool thing, I don't mind maintaining or improving on my code,
> and performance-wise it's not a noteable hit (except that loading a game
> takes a little longer).  The work has been done for you.  Why *not*
> include it?

I'm all for it.  It complicates the code a little,
but it seems useful enough.

--
Reinier