Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: How to set your LANG variable

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: How to set your LANG variable
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:13:59 -0400

Erik Sigra (sigra@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> onsdagen den 23 maj 2001 23:17 skrev Thue:

> >   export LANG; LANG=de   (in the Bourne shell (sh)),
> > or
> >   setenv LANG de         (in the C shell (csh)).

> Neither works for me. I have to use "export LANGUAGE=de" or export
> LANGUAGE=de_DE".

The following three lines are exactly equivalent in bash and ksh:

  export LANG=de
  LANG=de; export LANG
  export LANG; LANG=de

However, in a traditional Bourne shell, only the last line above will
work as expected.  So the instructions really need to be changed to
switch the order of the two commands around.

What system are you using that has $LANGUAGE instead of $LANG?  I've never
seen that one before.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |