Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: population cost patch

To: Michael Kiermaier <michael.kiermaier@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: population cost patch
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 18:22:37 -0800 (PST)

OK -- here's something actually helpful

--- Michael Kiermaier <michael.kiermaier@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> * pressing the "b"-key does not add units with AddToCity, but without
> Cities
> and Settlers flag to a city. up to now i did not look for the reason
> again,
> but this should be fixed.

Seems to work fine for me... I defined a Refugee unit, with only the
AddToCity flag, and a pop_cost of 1, and "b", menus, etc. work well.
You might want to try it again on a clean build?

> * for a AddToCity-only unit the menu item shows "build city" instead
> of "add
> to city"

"b" is overloaded to mean "build city" "add to city" "build wonder" so
this shouldn't be so bothersome

> * a new ruleset should be created. i suggest the following changes:
> -settlers, engineers: pop_cost = 2, build_cost=60
> -terraforming-only versions of settlers and engineers: build_cost=30,
> pop_cost=uk_food=0. they must be placed after settlers and engineers
> in
> unit.rulesset to make the ai use them.

Alternatively, Settlers could be reserved for city settling, and
Engineers could just be the super-terraforming unit. I can't think of a
good name for the lower version (workers is the most obvious, but that
doesn't work because that's what city workers are called).

> -a refugee unit: pop_cost = 1, build_cost=10,
> attack=defense=uk_food=0,
> move_rate=1. maybe it would be interesting to have them arise like
> partisans
> after a city is conquered.

This leads to interesting game play, like cheaply depopulating an enemy
city that you've conquered.

I agree that this patch should get applied, but I wonder if there are
some subtle bugs, and clean-up to do? I might vote for releasing a new
stable Freeciv, and applying this patch early in the next devel cycle.

Perhaps there should be a 1.11.5pre branch and a 1.11.6 devel?

Arien