Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dips.

To: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dips.
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:42:41 -0500

dnh (dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Erm I think perhaps the chance of a defending winning should be much much
> higher.. and if you have more than one it should get extra bonus.
> Otherwise there is no other way to beat a larger player who has something
> with a higher defense (ie musketeer and dip when all you have is pikemen)

Civilization: Call to Power (CTP) addresses this by using stacked combat.
You can have up to 9 units in each tile, and you can move units as a
group; and when you move a stack of your units into a tile occupied by
an enemy stack, *all* of the units engage in one large battle.

Needless to say, this has a major effect on game tactics.  In the early
game, groups of defenders are very difficult to kill, especially behind
city walls.  Later in the game, this balance changes due to some of
the other game features (bombardment, attacks from space).  But to
a certain extent, it *does* do what you wanted -- a large number of
mediocre defenders are usually more than a match for a small number of
powerful attackers.

Unfortunately, implementing this requires some major changes to the game
(including adding new fields to the units for "ranged attack strength",
which is quite different from regular (hand-to-hand) attack strength).
So it's not likely to occur unless someone actually wants to take the
time to implement a full CTP compatibility mode.

--
*** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
"Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/
  Red Hot Chili Peppers           |  old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/