Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] cityname patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] cityname patch
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:03:31 +0000 (WET)

Well i've had a really hard time with this patch.  The Lisp parser is
particularly obscure.  I haven't even understood what grammar it's
parsing! :-)

From the author's comments i guess he didn't mean it to be used for
purposes other than XConq so i guess we'll have to do this in a different
way.

I tried cleaning up the code a bit (well split the functions & put
some function declarations in include files instead of that hodge podge of
extern's) the (incomplete but compilable) patch is at:

<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/citynames-9.diff.bz2>

I'm not certain i'll continue working on it though.  I think i could write
a new parser in Freeciv style faster than to hand convert this one.

IMO we should start thinking of this in a different way.  I know people
have wanted scripting in Freeciv for some time so we probably should
decide what kind of language we're going to use.  But i guess it's kind of
overkill to add a Lisp parser just for cityname generation.

If similar patches to this are to be accepted in the future they should
consist of the parser & necessary support *only* at the beggining.  After
the parser is in place we can worry with the rest.

---