[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names (PATCH)

To: sigra@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names (PATCH)
From: Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jan 2001 21:47:56 +0100

Erik Sigra <erisi730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi!
I am replying to the first version of your post, but I have tried the
later patch.

> OK, now I have a patch for you. It implements all the namer
> functionality from Xconq. Both the very flexible grammar synthesizer
> and the simple random namer.

Great idea!

> I have fixed the city lists of all nations to use the new
> functionality. For toose nations where I could find a good grammar
> in the Xconq libraries, I used it (for examle swedish, english,
> german, italian).

I only looked on the one used for German: Main complaint: only
7-bit-ascii. I want umlauts :-)

>  For other nations, I just converted the old city
> list to a random namer. The local people can send in grammars for
> their respective languages when this patch is in.

> The random namer is a little different than the old Freeciv way. The
> cities come in random order, and a rejected city is rejected. It
> won't haunt you any more.

I am very pleased about that change.

> Here is the documentation for Xconq namers  from
> <http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/manual/xcdesign_49.html#SEC233>:
> <ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/citynames.diff.bz2>. You have to
> run automake, configure and make. There are no crashes that I know about. You
> will find a lot of things to fix, so feel free to improve the patch. Look for
> example at the freelog calls if I picked the right log levels, and things
> like that. Someone probably knows how to compose the copyright notices. I
> have barely touched them. Most of the comments in the code are Stan's.
>
> THE NAMING STANDARD FOR NAMER FILES:
>
> files called "ng-<language>.g" are grammar namers that produce place names in
> that language. The grammar contains syllables that produce suitable place
> names.
>
> files called "ng-cities_<state>_<year1>_to[_<year2>].g" are random namers
> containing a list of names of cities that all belonged to the state between
> year1 and year2. If the city set of the state today equals the city set in
> the namer, the part between [] is omitted. I have guessed some of the years,
> and substituted others with "----".

This name format is probably a nightmare for Windows users. Not that I
would care ,->

On what basis are the ng-cities-files used? E.g. if there are two for
one state in different epoches?

Ok, it has compiled.
One linker warning:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o civserver civserver.o ../common/libcivcommon.a
../ai/libcivai.a ./libcivserver.a ../intl/libintl.a
../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ./libcivserver.a
-L/home/killes/lib -lz
ld32: WARNING 84: ../ai/libcivai.a is not used for resolving any symbol.
ld32: WARNING 84: ./libcivserver.a is not used for resolving any symbol.

Hmm, does not work:

2: killes is the German ruler Bismarck.
2: The map has 1 starting positions on 1 isles.

1: module.c:load_module: Can't find module "" anywhere

1: lisp.c:symbol_value: unbound symbol `german-place-names', substituting nil

»?format?« is suggested as a cityname.

Ah, the ng-* files were not installed.

Hmm, they should go to data/nation ?
It does not help, I get the same warning.

Cheers,
        Gerhard

--
Dipl.-Phys. Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ein Bier, das nicht getrunken wird, hat seinen Beruf verfehlt.