Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Tileset

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Tileset
From: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:41:25 -0700 (MST)

I've tried out freeciv a few times over the years, and but this time I've
decided to get involved.

In my opinion, one thing that really limits playability is the tiny
tile size and difficulty pickin out enough detail to distinguish
terrain.  With my 19" monitor at 1280x1024 the icons are just too small to
give a nice effect, and as average dpi of displays increases, this problem
will just get worse.  There are two options, as I see it (neither a
trivial change, I think):

1- Add one more size (90x90)? that will be useful for the foreseeable
future.

2- Or more invasively, move to a scaled environment a la Alpha Centauri
(if memory serves)

At some point, an optional elevation (SMAC again) will be useful for
modpacks, and the 2nd method will make that easier (I think).  A zoom
could also be implemented in that case for those wanting to get a little
closer to the "action" ;)

How:  Use 128x128 (256x256) texture and scale/transform as needed

Just a thought.