Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Belated (server) GUI frontend design

To: dagchess@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Belated (server) GUI frontend design
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:35:48 +1100 (EST)

"Nathan Gundlach" <dagchess@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. I'd like some feedback! What do you all think. Also, I've decided to =
> do this in RapidQ. www.egroups.com/groups/RapidQ =
> www.basicguru.com/abc/RapidQ.

I think using RapidQ will significantly reduce the number of people
who will be interested in, or use, your frontend.

I'm also concerned about the licencing.  <rant> I get very annoyed
about software sites which say "its free!" without saying anything
more about whether its gratis ("free beer") or libre ("free speech")
or what the real licencing is. </rant>

From, eg, http://www.basicguru.com/abc/RapidQ/docs/chapter1.html#16
it appears that RapidQ is merely gratis (no cost), not libre
(open source).

As I don't understand enough the details of how the frontend will
interact with the RapidQ interpreter and the Freeciv server, I'm not
sure whether this is merely unappealing, or whether it presents a
legal licensing problem in terms of interaction with the licence
(GPL) of Freeciv.  It certainly IMO would prevent this being adopted
as the "standard" server frontend.

BTW, please configure your email client not to send HTML.

-- David