[Freeciv-Dev] Re: XML for help texts?

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: XML for help texts?
From: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:17:16 +0200

Reinier Post wrote in a message which also became a victim
of the freeciv list's reply-to policy:

>   Hello Mathias,
>
> > because my plan to embed a lightweight HTML engine into the help dialog
> > because the wish to include pictures
> > and finally because of the idea to create a printable documentation:
> >
> > Shouldn't we convert the help texts in to a XML format?
>
> Seems to be a good idea, but you have to be aware that Freeciv is
> extremely portable now and depends on very few extra libraries, at least,
> the Xt version.

libxml should be extremly portable too. It's written in plain ANSI C.
It compiles well on Win32 using mingw32 or Visual C. Already made it
myself...

Well, BeOS - I suppose I have to install the version littering around
here to find this out. Which compiler is normaly used for the BeOS
client? GCC or Metroworks?

Uhm... Amiga... No clue about it... Never had one...
Which compiler is used for the client?

> > Parsing could be done with the lightweight libxml aka. gnome-xml
> > (http://www.xmlsoft.org/) by Daniel Veillard...
> >
> > For HTML rendering we could use XmHTML (available for Xt *and* as
> > GtkXmHTML also for Gtk+) or GtkHTML (for Gtk+ only).
>
> OK, but do they run under Windows as well?  And what about the Amiga client?

I guess due Tor Lillqvist's great work GtkHTML should compile well
on Win32... The gui-win32 directory is empty in the package I've
got. Suppose that it utilizes native Win32 calls? Why do not embbed
the evil :) Explorer widget?

BeOS - have not tried out the BeOS port of Gtk... :)
But there surly is an embeddable HTML widget?

Amiga - is it not too slow to render HTML ;)
Otherwise: There surly is an embeddable widget?

> An alternative is to make Freeciv control a WWW browser a la xchat.

I guess this only works on X Windows...

Ciao,
Mathias
--
PGP: 1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/