[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:22:36 +0200

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 06:01:53PM +0200, Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
> > And ugly/beauty issue is very personal.
>
> I agree, but most perl programs would win Obsfucate-C contest without
> modification :)
> Seriously, I'm mainly talking about proliferation of $ @ % etc in perl
> code. Also fact that function can have different side effect depending
> on fact what type of return I want from it at call site is very 'ugly'
> for me.

Comparing to C, C++ or bash, Perl doesn't look so bad.
There are much prettier languages, but their code has
usually twice more lines.

And don't forget Perl is DWIM language.
These side effects are what 90% of Perl programmers
sub-consiously expected :-)

> > Where can I get one ? (I have no such thing on Debian)
> http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/drscheme/
>
> Here you can download not only mzscheme itself but also IDE for it +
> plus many other packages. All of this is overkill, but it could be
> stripped down to one dynamic lib about 600-800 kb.

Oh, drscheme ... So there is one on Debian.
It's size (unpacked) is 11 MB 841 kB !
Way too much.