Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas to freeciv...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas to freeciv...
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 May 2000 19:36:04 +0200

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:50:08AM +0000, Clemens Ager wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I like the idea of linking wonders with special events.
> > eg.: the first player sailing all around the world should get the
> > Magellans Expedition (I think it quite strange when I get it while
> > playing without having a single ship ;-) )
>
> Great idea!  For example, the Lighthouse can be allowed by
> risking and saving a certain amount of Triremes on open sea.
> Wonders would confirm a quality a nation has shown to possess.

I think this is a bad idea from the view of game balance. It favours
players who already have an advantage, which is bad. I even thought
whether it might be a good idea for wonders to have increasing prices,
like 200 shields for the first, 300 for the second etc. to avoid the
usual situation of one player accumulating all the wonders, and to
give the players a reson *not* to build a certain wonder. On the other
hand, it would be cool to connect some event to sailing around the
world for the first time...

> > 1. How about continent names? I think it would add some flair. And as
> > I'm one of the persons that mostly use the given name for cities (and
> > have some with the same name) it would make duplicate names more exact
> > (eg. instead of Rome, Rome,... it would read Rome (Europe),
> > Rome(Asia),...)

I like this. It doesn't really add anything to gameplay, but helps
with finding cities.

> > 2. As you've read above I use the "suggested-name-feature" for cities
> > extensivly ;-) How about extenting the list by adding "new" to the names
> > in the list (eg. London later would be New London,...)
>
> That's workable, but I think Falk Hueffners algorithm, that
> generates names by recombining existing ones, is more fun.

Glad you like it :) Do you think I should make an updated patch and
try to get it into the source?

        Falk