Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: Tactics of burned land

To: Matthew Fuller <fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: Tactics of burned land
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:47:33 -0400

Matthew Fuller (fullermd@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> It'd be great if there was some way we could raze cities instead of just
> taking them over when we  win them in battle.  Especially with the
> braindead way the AI lays out cities sometimes...

CTP allows cities of size 3 or smaller to be disbanded at will.
They are replaced with a Settler unit instantaneously at no cost.
(The Settler has 0 movement points.)

I don't know what happens if you try to disband a space or sea city.
I've never done that.  The manual does not say, either.

The closest you can get in Freeciv (or Civ1/2) is to build a Settler the
old-fashioned way while the city is size 1.  In Freeciv, you'll have to
set a city option in order for this to work.

A server option could take care of this.  Call it, say, "disband_size",
default 0.  A disband_size of 0 would mean traditional Freeciv behavior.
A disband_size of N (N > 0) would mean that a city of size N or
smaller could be disbanded at will.  For CTP emulation, then, you'd set
disband_size 3.

Of course, you'd also need client-side support, including changes to
the network protocol.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers