Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch]full fog of war

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch]full fog of war
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:48:50 +1000 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> At 2000/03/29 18:23 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> >I have made the savegames made with unit fog of war incompatible (1.10
> >savegames will work, of course). Is this ok?
> >I could make them compatible, but I don't want to clutter the format for
> >compatibility with 3 weeks worth of CVS savegames.

> Humm.  I noticed that it *is* fairly easy to load a "unit only" fog
> save-game by simply deleting the "fogofwar=#" line from the file, loading
> the game, then setting the fogofwar server option to 1 (if that's what you
> want).  So, since the "unit only" format was never used by a stable
> version, and since it is easy to recover the games, I think in this case it
> may be okay to break compatibility.  Any objections?

I agree with the principle, but in this case, if the savegame can
be "salvaged" by deleting one line, surely it should be easy to
programmatically do the equivalent??

Notice you can always check which elements are really in the savefile
using section_file_lookup() (eg, look for something added in full
or unit-only cases).

-- David